Re-Blog from The Difference Dynamic (dare to be who YOU are): What's your mindset: Chess or Checkers??

What's your mindset: Chess or Checkers??
Timothy S. Cusack
St. Joseph's Primary School - Nabbingo, Uganda
 

This is Timothy S. Cusack (in the green shirt and glasses). I knew who he was in high school, but didn't know him. He believes deeply in the strength of family. He understands the importance of building into the community. He pours back into others and teaches his children to do the same. His life exemplifies Ubuntu, an African principle of unity. 

Here is his response to The Difference Dynamic questions.

My Name is Timothy Cusack. I was born in Paterson, NJ. I lived there until the middle of seventh grade, when I moved to Lakewood, N.J., where I finished middle school and attended Lakewood High School. Upon graduation, I attended Seton Hall University.
I became a foster child and ultimately an emancipated minor due to my mother’s health issues. My mother was very ill when I was growing up. She had diabetes, multiple sclerosis and numerous other illnesses over her short lifetime. Because of her illnesses, she required 24-hour medical supervision and was placed in a nursing home in her early 40’s. I was placed in foster care and was able to see the good and the bad of the system first-hand. It changed my life and showed me the importance of family, and the concept of “extended family”. Looking back it was probably my first encounter with the concept of “UBUNTU”.
I don’t think of a “harmonious world” in the Utopian sense, because I don’t think humanity will ever be ready for that state of being, but rather a world where we can actually communicate with each other without all the hate and vice we have today. In the words of Rodney King, “Can’t we all just get along!!” I know there will always be strife and conflict in the world, but could it actually be over something worthwhile? We need to “TALK” out our differences a little more and fight "A LOT LESS!!"
I really don’t remember where I heard this quote, or how badly I have screwed it up over the years, but it is the “mantra” I try to live by and instill in my children (it is also the focus of our Change for Chess Program): "I believe that 90% of the world is playing CHECKERS while only 10% of the World is Playing CHESS, and half of them are PAWNS!!”
I think this is VERY true in today’s society with sooooooo much talk about the top 1%, 5%, or 10% having 50%-75% of the world’s wealth. Those are the people playing chess!! Everyone else is playing checkers!! They have a different mindset and way of doing things that allow them to be successful.  

I just want to get on the board. I can accept being a PAWN because I know how to play the GAME, and I know if I can stay alive long enough I can get promoted to become a more powerful piece on the chess board of life!!

This is what I teach my children and hope to teach other children through our Change for Chess Program. www.ChangeForChess.org


***

So there you have it. A story of family, strength, strategy, and communication. Now that's a powerful difference dynamic.

Who will be next to share their story?

The Difference Dynamic (dare to be who YOU are): What's your mindset: Chess or Checkers??: Timothy S. Cusack St. Joseph's Primary School - Nabbingo, Uganda  

No comments:

Post a Comment